Monday, February 2, 2009

Take about bizarre

I left my job of 15 yrs in July 08. It was a huge risk for me, but i wanted to work closer to home to be nearer to the kids in case anything happened. You know those calls you get from the school.

I am now working, get this, working with families in a treatment facitlity to reunite them with their kids who for many reasons were taken away.

Kinda of an odd job for someone who has seen first hand what abuse and neglect can do to children, but here I am, working with the families on getting the kids back and keeping them.

even though I am an adoptive parent, i still am a true believer that kids should be with their birth families if at all possible. But I also feel there needs to be a time when when the parents rights are terminated so the child does not have to stay in limbo/ foster care, for a long time.

Ok, so here is the bizarre part.

A new family came in and they were assigned to me. It turns out, that the father, is my childrens birth Uncle. I wasnt sure when we first met, but after putting all the pieces together, it is clear he is.

Whats even weirder, his SO has the same last name as mine.

After realizing this, I quickly took my kids pictures off my desk and told my supervisor that I cannot have this family for my clients.

To be honest, I really wanted to keep them so I can find out some stuff, but I knew it would be unethical if I did, so I gave them up.

He really is a nice guy and I keep wondering what would happen if i told him.

He has no contact with his sister anymore (my kids birth mother), stated he hadnt seen her in years.

oh, their little one, is the cutest kid also. Whats even odd about this, is when the little boy, he is 2 yr old, gets upset in the day care room, he comes looking for me. I can re-direct this kid real easy.

Im sure he must be picking up some vibe that I think hes special.....(as hard as I try to treat everyone the same).

This really has caused some rift with me, as I sit in clinical meetings and they discuss this family, I have this need to protect them. I have to sit on my hands and hum a little tune in my head so I dont yell "you have no idea what your talking about, you dont know what his childhood was like....blah blah blah...."

The good part is, they dont suspect a thing. We just hired a new social worker and this was the newest family that came in and thats why they went to her. They were disappointed, but understood.

I really like them though. He was 14 or 15 yrs old at the time of the removal of my kids. I even have a picture of him in my kids lifebooks.

So, that my bizarre story. Not sure where this will go, but it really is interesting to be so close to a blood relative of my children.

So here i am, hands under my legs, biting my tounge, pretending he is just like every other client, when we all know, he really isnt just like every other client, hes my kids Birth Uncle.

2 comments:

De Anna Glendenning said...

Wow! I can only imagine! And, it's knowing where our children come from that makes Me feel more obligated to try and change the future for them. I know my children's mother had all the strikes against her and that for her I would like to make it possible her children can change the legacy.

De Anna Glendenning said...

Wow! I can only imagine! And, it's knowing where our children come from that makes Me feel more obligated to try and change the future for them. I know my children's mother had all the strikes against her and that for her I would like to make it possible her children can change the legacy.