Sunday, February 1, 2009

bullet has died

yes folks, my sons anole has finally died. I know it might sound cruel, but I am really happy about it.

why just yesterday, I was at the pet store buying crickets for this thing and asking the clerk if there was a way I can kill it.

Now before you go thinking I am mean hearted, let me explain.

This anole my younger son had, was given to him by a friend from Florida. It was a wild anole. We took good care of it, then all of a sudden it got sick. He was a wild reptile that should not of been in captivity in the first place. but he had him for quite a while.

Eventually the poor thing stopped eating and for the last 2 months, yes 2 months, this thing has been wasting away to nothing. His ribs started to show and you can see him breathing real heavy.

At one point we thought he had died and when we went to bury it, the thing moved its head. It was kinda freaky. He just didnt want to die, and we didnt know what to do.

Everynight we would watch this poor thing, drink the drips of water off the side of its glass cage. My son had a hard time watching it, as I did too.

So you see, my hopes for this thing to die, was that it appeated to be suffering. I have no idea why it hung on as long as it did. It was very painful for my younger son and I watch.

oh, In case you dont know what an anole looks like, here is a picture of a healthier time. Funny, but that lizard kinda grew on me.

2 comments:

Corrine said...

Poor anole.
I feel as if I should sing...

"Circle of life! It moves us all...through dispair and hope..with faith and love...."

Anyway, you get the jist!
: )

My sympathies to your son! It is a hard lesson. Lizzard or not!

De Anna Glendenning said...

Birds and Lizards... oh, and monkeys, I just never have understood keeping them trapped and feeging them strange things (or changing diapers in the case of a monkey?)

I'm sorry poor kids and hopefully he is zipping around where he is now!