Wednesday, March 19, 2008

cat fish must go

I do love having little fishes swimming around in their tanks. What a beautiful site and the sound it makes, from the water from the filter, really does sound peaceful.

But what if you find, that in your beautiful fish tank, is a 5 inch ugly cat fish, with bulgy eyes and whiskers.

Well, welcome to our fish tank.

My younger son just loves to go fishing, but what he likes even more, is taking a net and scooping up the drudge from the bottom of the lake. fun fun fun

So last spring, he drudges up this cat fish, well, we werent exactly sure what it was, it was about 1 inch long. He also scooped up two cray fish. They were each about 1 1/2 in long.

He decides that he really wants them, and the lesson about ’taking them from their friends and there surrondings, and they might get sad and loney’ didnt go over very well. Well, it worked for me, when I was there age, but I wasnt that bright.

So with pail and one small fish and two cray fish in tow, were home to release these brown things in their tanks.

So off to the computer we went to learn how to take care of these little creatures, we werent really sure what he caught at that time.

First we found out that the cray fish need to be by themselves, so off to the pet store to buy a seperate tank for them, then they needed to have something that they can hide under. (like a cave), so i have one of those. Didnt know they didnt like to share, but I’ll get to that later.

Then came the ugly fish. Well, my son was determined to figure out what kind of fish it was, at that point we didnt know, so he looks it up in the book. I cant spell encylopedia...oh wait, did I just spell it write? but i digress.

Well, we discover it was a cat fish or bottom feeders or shit eaters. what ever term you are most comfortable calling them. Oh, "they eat anything", says the pet store man. So thats good news. That dirty little fish.

Well, its been a year now, and I guess the king of the cray fish was not about to share his ’hiding place’ or as I like to call it ’his throne’, the other cray fish ended up dying. I guess they really do need a place to hide....

Now the other cray fish, is as boring as this blog, and darn thing just sits under the ’cave’, and wont come out for nothing. So we are just looking at an empty fishtank. Oh what fun....

Well, guess who decided to come out and grab a bite to eat.....the cray fish, and he isnt an inch anymore, the darn thing is about 5 inches long. The thing grew overnight. Oh, and here is some important facts about cray fish...when you see them ’pale white’ just kinda floating around the tank, dont think they are dead. They shed their bodies.....AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was ready to dump and clean out the fish tank because I thought that ugly thing was dead, but little did I know, he was still in his cave, alive and well, and left me a lovely little gift....

Now on to that cat fish, and this is the reason why I am writing. This is the most dumbest fish that I ever met. He is now 5 inches long, and the tank is just to darn small for him. His eyes are even more buldgy then before and his whiskers have grown about 2 inches long.

He has no idea when its feeding time, even though I feed him the same time everyday. He comes out looking stupid and isnt even use to any of us. We had guppies smarter then him.

But our gold fish, every morning, when he sees us, he swims up to the top, with a big ol smile on his face because he knows he is going to get some food, but NOT this cat fish, oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO, he just give you this stupid look and has no clue why your even looking at him...durrrr...

Well, before we go spending alot more money on a bigger tank, I talked to the guy at the pet store with my son in ear shot and asked about releasing him back in the lake and if he will die. He said he wouldnt....

So come the warm weather, we will have to go our seperate ways. The cray fish and the cat fish need to go be amongst their own kind, and we’ll go back to buying guppies. Unless of course my son decides that he doesnt want to use the live bait for fishing anymore, and wants to bring the bait home to put in the tank.

No comments: